The following article appeared one year ago today on 2/21/2007
Lot’s of stuff to get to as far as WrestleMania and what not is concerned, but I will tell you ahead of time, some of the stuff below is spoiler material, so if you want to be totally shocked going into RAW next Monday in Fresno, I recommend you not read ahead. I am not into totally blowing storylines and where they are headed, but some of the stuff below is going to give you a general idea of where things are going.
* Donald Trump’s wrestler will be……Bobby Lashley. Ugh. I can’t believe we are going to have to get screwed out of watching Hogan at WrestleMania after all the year build up that he would be on the card. Instead, we get Umaga vs Bobby Lashley in the much hyped Vince vs Donald Hair vs Hair match. Umaga is going to have to carry Lashley, who continues to not impress me with much in the ring. Unless things take a massive 180, which I don’t think they will, this will all come to form on Monday night at RAW. As for another shock in this match….
* Steve Austins role at Mania is set, and it is…..Guest ref for the Trump vs McMahon (Lashley vs Umaga) hair vs hair match. Yep, they blew that on E! when they showed a picture for Mania and it had Austin in the pic for the match with a ref shirt on. It will be the first time since the forgettable Brock Lesner vs Goldberg mess in WrestleMania XX that Austin has donned the ref attire. Of course they will probably make him more of a “special enforcer” like they did for that match. I expect they will have that Vinnie Jones at Mania as well, likely to taunt Austin.
* I would expect to see Mick Foley in some fashion at WM as well, as his new book “Hardcore Diaries” will be out and being pushed on WWE TV, as it was this past week. He has already set up quite a few book signings around the country, and I think that with the WWE pushing the book, he will be in Detroit for the big event and will at least have his face on the show. Interesting that the last two wrestling books the WWE has promoted, the Eric Bishoff book and now Foley’s, both levy some heavy shots at the company.
* Many people are expressing confusion over the Hulk Hogan “20-year contract” that was the main topic on “Hogan Knows Best” this past week that he signed with WWE. The contract is legit, but it is NOT for wrestling, which they made it out to be. It is more for licensing and for the company to use his name and not have Hogan turn around everytime he’s mentioned and suing the WWE. I still think and will continue to say that not having Hogan in Detroit at Mania is a crime. As for “Hogan Knows Best” season 4, reports say that shooting has already begun, despite earlier claims that season 3 would be the last.
* The WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony at the Fox Theatre in Detroit will take place on March 31st, the night before Mania. The show will NOT be on TV, as the last two years they have taken an hour of it and put it on late on Saturday night on USA Network. If interested in going to the event, tickets will go on sale Saturday March 3rd at 10am via Ticketmaster, and the price ranges for the event are $100-$50.
* So as we stand at this moment, here is the confirmed and the unconfirmed but rumors for matches at Mania:
Undertaker vs Batista for the World Heavyweight Title (Top Main event)
Shawn Michaels vs John Cena for WWE Title (2nd Main event)
Umaga vs Bobby Lashley w/ Steve Austin as Ref (McMahon vs Trump Hair vs Hair match)
Money in the Bank Ladder Match w/ six wrestlers (Edge only confirmed name as of 2/20)
Ashley vs Melina for the Women’s Title
Ric Flair vs Carlito
Hardy’s vs MNM for the Tag Title in TLC Match (Hardy’s beat Edge & Orton in 2-3 weeks on RAW for tag belts is heavy rumor)
Labels: batista, shawn michaels, undertaker, wrestlemania 23